Re: TCP/IP Terms

2002-09-27 21:51:10
I passed my midterm today, so let me give it a try..

LAYER 7 - APPLICATION - Your data manipulation applications :)
LAYER 6 - PRESENTATION - compression, encryption, char translation
LAYER 5 - SESSION  - your connection manager interface (i.e. BSD sockets)
LAYER 4 - TRANSPORT- data segmentation, with checksums
LAYER 3 - NETWORK  - Addressing (i.e. routing, routers.. or i like "rooters")
LAYER 2 - DATALINK - Bit-oriented encapsulation frames
LAYER 1 - PHYSICAL - .,';,.ELECTRICAL SIGNALS.,';,.

Segments are LAYER 4. Packets are LAYER 3. Frames are, duh, LAYER 2.

Segments : also called PDUs, Protocol Data Units, a grouping of data gtom
layers
7,6, & 5 and provides reliability and error correction for transfer.

--chris