Re: mail headers for announce

2002-10-30 16:34:51

Dave Crocker <dave(_at_)tribalwise(_dot_)com> writes:
Perry> As I use Return-Path: headers to filter my mail, this has gotten
Perry> annoying, Yes, I can indeed kludge around it, but is there a
Perry> particular reason for this being done?

Using return-path is a bit like paying attention to what mailbox a postal
letter is dropped into.

looking for ietf-announce in the recipient list works better.

The recipient list is a pretty poor way to deal with things when you
get mail sent to multiple lists you're on, and often the To: line ends
up with nothing at all. The Return-Path: is generally the surest way
to know which of the lists each of the messages was sent to. I've
tried lots of things over the years, and Return-Path: is what works
the best. I'm on a few hundred mailing lists so the matter is somewhat
important to me.

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry(_at_)piermont(_dot_)com