Re: mail headers for announce

2002-10-30 19:58:19
In article <87znsvwlxa(_dot_)fsf(_at_)snark(_dot_)piermont(_dot_)com> you write:

The recipient list is a pretty poor way to deal with things when you
get mail sent to multiple lists you're on, and often the To: line ends
up with nothing at all.

I filter on envelope recipient.  This seems to work very well,
although it does cause problems with certain obnoxious lists and
list-manager programs (I won't mention any names) which are unable or
unwilling to deal with people sending mail using a different address
from the one they receive it at.  It also lets my MTA do all the work
of sorting things for me.

(In the case of the IETF list, I just gateway it into a local
newsgroup, which works even better since the two people who still
remember how to use netnews here do not need to receive separate
copies.  This also has the salutary effect of running the list traffic
through my news server's spam filter.  I presently have 93 such lists
so gatewayed, although only a tiny number are of any interest to me
personally.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | [G]enes make enzymes, and enzymes control the rates of
wollman(_at_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu  | chemical processes.  Genes do not make