Re: mail headers for announce

2002-10-30 21:19:18
The recipient list is a pretty poor way to deal with things when you
get mail sent to multiple lists you're on, and often the To: line ends
up with nothing at all.

I filter on envelope recipient.  This seems to work very well,
although it does cause problems with certain obnoxious lists and
list-manager programs (I won't mention any names) which are unable or
unwilling to deal with people sending mail using a different address
from the one they receive it at.  It also lets my MTA do all the work
of sorting things for me.

I do the same thing, and it works extremely well for me also.

FWIW, my bulk_mailer code has a fuzzy address matching algorithm that
is designed to recognize when the sender of a message is using a
similar-but-somewhat-different address (via subaddresses or slightly
different domains) than the one to which he/she is subscribed.
Authors of other list software are welcome to crib from it.

Keith