Re: Multihoming in IPv6

2002-11-11 23:23:42
    > From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry(_at_)piermont(_dot_)com>

    > Identifier/locator separation has been a topic of conversation at the
    > IETF for at least the last decade if not longer. In spite of this
    > continuous interest, an actual fruitful proposal has yet to arrive.

As you seem to have forgotten since the last time I pointed this out to you,
MobileIPv6 represents a fully-worked-out design which separates identity
from location. (The Home Address is still used as a rendezvous point, it is
true.)

    > I highly recommend attempting to do a fully worked proposal complete
    > with documents before bringing up the topic in a broad audience -- it
    > will increase your credibility markedly.

It's quite apparent that this is just a bogus excuse used by people who have
absolutely no interest in considering the concept.

Just how "fully worked" was IPv6 when the IETF picked it? Much of the
existing IPv6 protocol specs (e.g. the MIPv6 referred to above) weren't even
a gleam in someone's eye then, but apparently the extremely incomplete state
of IPv6 at that point was no bar to selecting it.

I guess you're happy to push a different, and deliberately obstructive, set
of rules when you're trying to dump on something, huh?

        Noel