Re: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You

2002-11-25 09:39:54

On 23 Nov 2002, Paul Vixie wrote:

vint, the thing you're not including in your analysis is that mr. baptista
is a dns pirate and his article in circleid was entirely self-serving and
politically based.

Paul baby - it's a honour to get such recognition from you.  But where's
your Proof?

Now Paul - I find it somewhat entertaining that you would crawl out of
your wintering hole and growl at me and make false accusation i can use
againts you.  Thats not nice Paul.  And frankly it's my opinion that such
baseless jibberish is below you.  Your a recognized leader in this
community.  A root server operator.  You even went along with postel
on the hi-jacking (or was that test) if the root servers.  Paul your a
legend in internet history.  What you have to say carries weight here.
Yet your so quick to anger and libel.  I ask that you refrain from this
shameful conduct.

or give me proof of your claims?

The issue is less the size of the file than the problem of updating many
copies of it reliably. The root server operators find it a challenge to
assure that even the modestly sized root zone file is correctly distributed
to all root servers accurately and in a timely fashion.

that's our issue.  mr. baptista's issue is that he wants everyone on the net
to have their own unique root, each with a set of tld's seasoned to local
tastes, ideally with many of them pointing at tld's he controls.  this is no
different in its end result from what new.net wants, it's just a different
method of achieving it.

I'll tell you what mr. baptista wants.  he wants a zone file that
is simular to the .com file.  A place where everyone can get their own
tld.  The roots are irrelevant to the issue - they are simply a false
monopoly obstacle in a game where the end user is in charge.  The current
USG root monopoly is built on ignorance and mr. baptista wants to see that
ignorance evaporate.

the thing that surprised me was that circleid actually published his article,
including URL at the end (http://www.dot-god.com/resources/ROOT.html) which
points to mr. baptista's activism/piracy site.  i had not thought of circleid
as a tabloid until yesterday.

Paul - there's no other place to put it.  You'll notice in my other
articles published at circleid that i use lists.

example:

http://www.circleid.com/articles/2539.asp

in this case i linked to an ipv6 list of isp's as the story was on ipv6.

it's important that my readers have references to investigate.  something
i don't find in many articles these days.

but i do appreciate your concern.  i'll suggest to my editor that any
lists i use he feel free to duplicate on circleid.  now paul i can't make
any promisses.  means more work - but at least your feedback will be
heard.

(what's worse, i think that we are both now guilty of feeding the trolls.)

well if i'm a troll then you've been a tasty nibble.

but paul - let's try to get along here.  the ietf list is one of the few
lists i'm on which is civilized.  let's try to work towards that together.

kindest regards
joe baptista