Re: namedroppers mismanagement, continued

2002-12-02 09:54:06
At 11:50 AM 11/27/2002 -0500, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
Regardless of the specifics of this case, I think a good rule would be to
say that all bounced messages on any IETF list MUST be archived on a
separate 'bounced' list.

Sounds good on the surface, but you might want to reconsider operationally.

We drop probably 30-40 messages a day from the IAB list, mostly KLEZ Viruses, 419 scams, spam in oriental characters, and random other sales stuff. This is after having moved it from iab(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu to iab(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; you'd be amazed how much crud goes to the former list.

Since it is a members-only list, we *do* use a "recognized persons" list to reduce the filtering load; this has allowed a few virus-mails through, but not much. In acting as one of the four moderators for six months, I have "approved" perhaps a dozen messages total, and in each case added the sender to the "recognized sender" list so I don't have to mess with it. The recognized senders, btw, include all IESG members and all working group chairs as of a certain date, and we add other folks as needed. The kooks-and-nonsense notes I have silently discarded have been less than I allowed through, perhaps three or four at most.

I think it is positively dangerous to archive Klez emails, and a waste of online storage. A person reviewing the email might open the application.

I could see archiving the kooks-and-nonsense email. It wouldn't be a very interesting archive - you have to *earn* a place on that list, and as a result I'll bet that most folks on this list have that list built into their individual email filters already. But I really don't see the value of archiving the spam.