Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-12-02 10:26:05
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:57:20 +0100, Marc Schneiders said:

It would make long domain names of the type
domainnamebargainscheaper.com obsolete.

Why? unless you manage to get 'cheaper.' as a TLD, and create the name
as domain.name.bargains.cheaper. - or am I missing something?

                                          Using domains will become
easier.

Empirical evidence indicates the biggest problem is finding the 1 out of 41M
.com domains and avoiding all the typosquatters...

        Less load on nameservers (incl. tld servers) because of
typo's.

See the NANOG url I posted yesterday - 98% of the TLD load is borked, and
nothing we do about this will address the issues (in fact, if anything, the
traffic for that part of the 98% due to non-caching will increase).

        That is just on a practical level. Other improvements
(probably off topic here) include lower prices, breaking of a cartel.

Notice that you don't get the lower prices and cartel breaking by increasing
the number of domains, you get it by increasing the number of registrars.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer