Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-12-04 09:28:30
Well, I for one am not ready to retreat from a more global view,
with a retreat to essentially balkanizing the Internet Name Space.

I see nothing wrong with having a .IBM or a .AOL, or .MSN, or a .NMA for that
matter.  All these companies operate in International Cyberspace in terms of
name recognition, and WIPO, in due course, is going to have to yield to market
demands, regardless of how long it takes.

To accept WIPO rule and control of global commerce language (and I do believe
that DNS is a language which uses names to communicate concepts) is just not
going to work, as WIPO is working to harness global control of naming systems
in general.  Give then an inch and they will take a mile.

So, I see no point in retrograde suggestions such as your proposal that we all
just lie down in our WIPO moulds, let them tighten the screws and turn up the
heat, and soon we will all be just fine.

No thank you for your kind offer of supposed comfort;-)...\Stef