Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-12-04 08:11:46
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, at 10:36 [=GMT-0700], Vernon Schryver wrote:

From: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:57:20 +0100, Marc Schneiders said:

It would make long domain names of the type
domainnamebargainscheaper.com obsolete.

Why? unless you manage to get 'cheaper.' as a TLD, and create the name
as domain.name.bargains.cheaper. - or am I missing something?

And what's wrong with DomainNameBargainsCheaper.com or
domain-name-bargains-cheaper.com?
How would replacing '-' with '.' affect anything?

It would mean you were dependent on the enduring goodwill of the
registrant of cheaper.com to delegate the subdomain to you.

I've noticed an odd thing while draining my spam traps.  When I see an
advertised domain name that consists of two or concatenated more English
words, it's usually Oriental.  I don't mean necessarily hosted in Asia
but with non-ASCII content.  It's as if Oriental spammers are smarter
about creating memorable English domain names and avoiding the squatters.

My observations give a different impression. People from Asia (esp.
Korea) register any two or three word .com domain that expires,
because a speculator is no longer willing to put money into it. I
would say it proves that they are good scripters.

                                          Using domains will become
easier.

Empirical evidence indicates the biggest problem is finding the 1 out of 41M
.com domains and avoiding all the typosquatters...

and neither of those has anything to do with the last 4 characters of the
name.

Well, if there is .shop, .bargain, .free, .web in addition to .biz and
.com, more people can just do business from NAME.TLD and do not have
to go for NAME-corp.TLD, NAME-easy.TLD, NAME-bargain.TLD etc. Try the
following on some dull party perhaps? Test which of the two following
sets can more easily be memorized:

domainbargain.com
domainnamebargain.com
namebargain.com
easydomain.com
easydomains.com

domain.bargain
domain.shop
domain.biz
domain.easy
domain.reg
domains.com (this one to make it not too easy)

--
[01] All ideas are vintage not new or perfect.
http://logoff.org/