Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-12-04 00:50:15

on 12/3/2002 1:49 PM Stephen Sprunk wrote:
Thus spake "Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com>

1/ no trademarks allowed

Every combination of characters is trademarked for some purpose in some
 jurisdiction.  If you find some exceptions, I'll find some VC money
and take care of that; problem solved.

Let's not get carried away. Trademark didn't stop .info and it won't stop
.car or .auto either.

2/ competitive rebidding every two years

IBM is not going to like potentially losing IBM.

see item 1.

3/ mandatory open downstream registrations (no exclusions)

A hierarchy without any kind of classification?

Nobody has been able to make any kind of classification work in the
generalized sense. Every classification scheme eventually proves to be
derived and arbitrary. Markets are chaotic, but the ordering that makes
sense to the customers does eventually emerge.

COM. vs NET. today, most SLDs from one exist in the other, and VeriSign
even offers a package where they'll register your SLD in every single
TLD that exists for one price.

This is completely irrelevant.

4/ high entry fees

Well, that'll certainly be needed, since the root registrar will need a
few hundred DNS servers to handle the volume of new queries in the root
now that you've made a flat namespace.

I don't see anybody arguing for a flat root. That may be the argument you
want to have but I haven't seen it suggested.