Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-12-02 10:56:31
Thus spake "Marc Schneiders" <marc(_at_)schneiders(_dot_)org>
Since .com was running _on_ the root-servers.net until recently
without problems, what are we talking about?

Naturally there won't be 1 million TLDs all at once. We could start
with a couple of hundreds. That would merely double the size of the
root.

Okay, so when every foo.com. applies to become a foo., how will you control
the growth?  What is to keep the root from becoming a flat namespace within
a few weeks?  It won't take long for the masses realize that an SLD is not
as prestigious as their own personal TLD...

IMHO, the only solution to this problem is the elimination of gTLDs
entirely.