Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-12-02 09:02:28
On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, at 14:08 [=GMT-0500], Keith Moore wrote:

Well, it also matters that the set be constrained to some degree.
A large flat root would not be very managable, and caches wouldn't
be very effective with large numbers of TLDs.

That's old fiction.  If it works for .com it will work for ".".

well, it's not clear that it works well for .com.  try measuring
delay and reliability of queries for a large number of samples
sometime, and also cache effectiveness.

I guess the burden of proof is on those who argue that it doesn _not_
work well.

let's put it another way.  under the current organization if .com breaks
the other TLDs will still work.   if we break the root, everything fails.

Since .com was running _on_ the root-servers.net until recently
without problems, what are we talking about?

Naturally there won't be 1 million TLDs all at once. We could start
with a couple of hundreds. That would merely double the size of the
root.