Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-12-02 15:28:12
Thus spake "Joe Baptista" <baptista(_at_)dot-god(_dot_)com>
I disagree.  The current arrangement of increasing registrars looks alot
like a multi level marketing scam.  Basically the goal is to squeeze every
penny out of the dot.com universe.  It' don't wash.

Users want *.choice in their tlds.  The whole idea behind tlds are to
establish simple nameing conventions which give users of domains
an internet precense.  unfortunately there's not much choice in the
existing USG root infrastructure.  Users are by their nature creative when
it comes to naming concervtions and i'm sure they would have more fun in
the alt.universes then they do in the USG system.  Unfortunately the USG
is not very creative in this regard.

I'm not sure it's been demonstrated anyone other than the _registrars_
actually want more gTLD's.  biz and info have been up for quite a while and
I can only think of one web site I've been to in either of them.  Despite
the heated arguments and bureaucratic infighting, demand simply hasn't
materialized when we increased supply.

End users expect everything to be in .com, period (no pun intended).  I
still get multi-year Internet users (admittedly of the AOL variety) who
don't believe my personal email address in .org is real -- they've never
noticed anything but .com and .net out there, and they're confused enough
about the minor difference between those two.  They don't need another few
thousand TLDs.