Re: IETF Sub-IP area: request for input

2002-12-04 11:58:59
It is my sense, perhaps jaundiced, that when the optical stuff came to the fore, the ATM folks of the world renamed ATM "MPLS" and decided that they would work on ATM whatever it was called and wherever the work was being done. Much of the sub-ip effort has been, in my view, literally that or has been repeatedly challenged to become that.

From what you said, it sounds like a large number, perhaps half, of the working groups are ready to complete within the coming year. There are likely to be two continuing working groups, ccamp and mpls. I'm not sure what the difference between those columns is: I think you're telling me that there are one or more working groups that will not complete soon and which are non-essential.

From my perspective, that tells me that we are really talking about two working groups a year from now - the rest either will have closed themselves or could be closed by IESG action. If that's what we are talking about, I would suggest planning quite literally to close the area a year from now, and leave it in status quo until then. I would also suggest aggressively managing the working groups that will not survive the change to ensure that they are either moribund or complete their work.