Re: Wireless in future meetings

2002-12-20 11:36:10
Folks, the Secretariat is quite good at this stuff. Really. The odds that they are going to book us into a hotel where we can't work effectively --especially along a dimension as easily understood as this one-- are, I think (reinforced by all of our experience since Houston), low enough that it really isn't worth the cost of the bits on this list to speculate about what various hotels might choose to do to individual guests.

Even when hotels have restrictive or expensive policies, those arrangements are typically negotiable if one is bringing them a very large meeting. And Marriott is unlikely to sign a deal with T-Mobile, or anyone else, that is sufficiently exclusive to cost them meeting or convention business from groups that need levels of network service that T-Mobile can't/doesn't offer. The situation would be different, of course, if it were impossible to run two different 802.11b networks in the same facility, but that is why there are network identifiers. And, again, the Secretariat is, in my experience, very good at those types of negotiations.

I'm almost positive we can find something more threatening to worry about :-(

regards,
   john