Re: Fw: namedroppers, continued (flamed in less than an hour. fig ures)

2003-01-05 23:26:40
On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:56:20 +1200, Franck Martin said:
-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
[mailto:Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu]
Could be worse.  We've had no complaints from any of the robotic or
space-alien intelligences about the human-centric language
used on this list,
even in the face of evidence that there are multiple representatives
of each of those categories lurking (and sometimes even posting)....

In which category would you fit Jim Fleming?

I have an opinion on that.  Jim probably does as well.  But remember these
three things:

1) The IETF is based on consensus.

2) William Gibson defined cyberspace as a consensual hallucination.

3) There is no spoon. ;)

I never said I exhaustively enumerated the options - I've seen more than one
delivered product that was obviously designed by a committee of cetaceans, as
the product worked, but the design choices were just... bizarre.  To the extent
that I couldn't fathom the thought processes involved.  So either the designer
was a dolphin or I am.  I'm pretty sure I'm not, but see point 3 above. ;)

And c'mon.. let's admit it - most dot-bombs had fatally flawed business
models, which were usually the result of some Upper Management Suit failing
to realize that chimpanzees are usually joking(*).

(And yes, I know I've dissembled rather than answer the actual question. That
was intentional...)

/Valdis

(*) Of course, humans suffer from this as well.  If you ever manage to catch
me as liveware, get me to tell the story behind "Geez Randy, now we need to
take you out back and beat the snot out of you *twice*" "But Val, I didn't think
they were taking me seriously this time either..."  ;)