Re: namedroppers, continued

2003-01-05 23:25:43
On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:04:41 EST, Doug said:

It seems to me if the mail server administrators would make the decision to
require people that send emails from their servers to log into a valid

Your proposal would fix the problem, but end up tossing a large quantity
of babies out with the bathwater.  The problem is that for the case of
a mailing list, you have *4* (at least) things to keep track of:

1) The RFC821 recipient address.  For your copy of this posting, it's "your
email address".

2) The RFC821 sender address.  It should be available in the Return-Path:
header in most well-behaved mail systems as you look at your mail.

3) The RFC822 From: address.

4) The RFC822 To: address.

Another problem is that I am (fortunately) still receiving more mail
each day that counts as "legitimate unsolicited" (problem reports about
our servers, people who have seen my name and are looking for technical
advice, etc) than I do actual spam.

It's not as easy as it looks... :)

/Valdis