Re: namedroppers, continued

2003-01-06 14:39:16
On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 14:38:09 EST, Doug
<Dougxx2(_at_)carolina(_dot_)rr(_dot_)com>  said:
I believe the answer to your first question is you would send mail
using
your own mail server not someone else's. Although...I do see unique
issues
involved in people using mail servers that are not part of their
network
(hotmail, yahoo...) to send email if they try to authenticate you as
part of
their network before allowing you to send email.
You're still missing the point.

How do you tell the difference between:

1) The IETF mail server sending for the IETF list.
2) The large SUN box across the hall that's the main vt.edu mail server.
3) My laptop.

Currently, my laptop will send directly to the destination.  The problem is
that although it would be trivial to change it so that it uses the central
Virginia Tech mail hub, that doesn't fix your problem - there's still no
authenticator for the vt.edu mail server at your mail server either....

Oh, and don't even suggest chasing MX records - the MX for vt.edu points
at one set of boxes, but you will almost certainly *NOT* get a connection
from them, as our outbound servers are at different addresses.  And no, we
won't change this unless you first manage to get hotmail.com and aol.com
to not use different inbound and outbound addresses first, as they do the
same thing for the same reasons.
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer