Re: namedroppers, continued

2003-01-07 19:33:50
Doug,

    This topic comes up quite often.  It has been discussed at length many
times.  Do not take criticism of your ideas too harshly, it is just that
most people here have seen these same solutions proposed by many people over
many years.  It gets a bit old and, patience gets a bit short.  A very quick
summary of the solutions proposed during these discussions is as follows:

A) Anybody can send mail to anybody (what we currently have.)

B) Mail servers check that the sender is authorized to send mail to the
users of its system.

C) Sending mail requires some sort of computationally expensive to compute,
easy to check, data to be sent along with messages (probably based on sender
address, receiver address and message)

    Unfortunately, B requires that there be some way to authenticate users
of other systems.  The only way that has been thought of to do this is to
have some central authority to do this.  While it is certainly possible,
this is thought to be a bad idea for many reasons, the most prominent of
which is the potential for abuse.  Lacking a central authority, this can be
done on mail servers already, with no need to involve the IETF (an example
would be whilelists.).

    Unfortuantely, C would have to be computable in a reasonable amount of
time in order not to be a major headache.  This means that the spammers
large cluster of powerful computers would still be able to send many
messages.  It would also wreak havoc with mailing lists.  It would also
become easier to compute as time goes on, due to the ever progressing nature
of computers.  This does not even take into account that we would be
creating a standard with the sole purpose of inefficiency, which probably
makes most engineers wince and, although that may not seem like such a
horrible idea right now, this standard could survive far into the future,
with implications yet to be known (keep in mind the scale on which these
standards will be implemented.)  If another solution is implemented in the
future, this may come back to bite us.

    At the moment, it seems the IETF consensus (notice the *seem* here, this
is my personal opinion taken from reading the discourse on these lists) is
that the best solution is A.  At some point another solution may hold the
majority favor, but that time is not now.

    Of course, it is possible that there is a solution that has not been
thought of, in which case it is a bad idea to discourage people from
thinking about it.  Know, however, that this list contains many extremely
arrogant (many of them justifiably so) experts in their chosen field, who
dislike their time being wasted.  I encourage you, if you have further
ideas, to do the required research to see if it would work before sending a
message and, be very thorough.  Also know that if you choose to get into a
flame war with people on this list, that some them have likely been doing
this for decades and, are probably much better at it than you are.  It is
likely to do nothing but frustrate you.  If you have another idea and, have
questions about how to check that it is at least feasable, I would be happy
to point you in the right direction.

-Daniel Pelstring