Re: email and spam (was: Re: namedroppers, continued)

2003-01-16 07:03:22

--On Wednesday, 15 January, 2003 18:17 -0800 Dave Crocker
<dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

John,

Before someone makes suggestions about the magic bullet that
will solve spam problems, they should at least familiarize
themselves with the rather interesting range of startup
company approaches to handling the problem.  Everything
ranging from keyword filtering by a commercial version of
spamassassin, to patenting a haiku.

And they should become familiar with the public policy and
politics debates on the topic.

This is a multifaceted problem, including the minor fact that
people's definition of "spam" is highly variable.  At this
stage it appears clear that no single magic bullet is possible
and that we should start viewing spam the way we view roaches.
We don't like them.  They are bad.  We do a range of things to
get rid of them.  It all helps.  But we do not eliminate them.
We simply reduce them to a tolerable level.

Is there some part of this with which you assume I disagree?

     john