Re: namedroppers, continued

2003-01-07 14:04:52
On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:33:28 EST, Doug said:

After examining the headers of many of the spam advertisments I get
and trying to contact the administrator of the network it came from I
find that it is usually futile because the network doesn't exist and
the IP information is incorrect. I also find that most use false
sender and reply address information (in an attempt to keep recipiants
from filtering them). This makes it hard (at least for me) to do
anything about them.

The trick here is to remember that except for the relative few spammers that
are advocating a religious/political/philosophical viewpoint (a la "Uncertainty
Principle is Untenable!"), the spammers *WANT* you to be able to contact them
via *some* means - they can't extract money (their usual goal) from you if
you can't get back to them.

Moreover, it has to be relatively simple to find - it has to be simple enough
that even a victim who doesn't have enough kloo to stop to wonder why the
"confidential and private" Nigerian scam arrived via spammage can figure out
how to get aboard....

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer