Re: email and spam (was: Re: namedroppers, continued)

2003-01-13 09:33:23
Dear John,
I am afraid that at this stage (e-mail + 40 or so years) telling someone to read the archives has no meaning. And telling him to post if he has a _new_idea either.

Could we not think of an FPS (frequently proposed solutions) where each defeated "solutions" would be listed and quickly discussed. There would be two good reasons:

1. to provide a true list of what has been proposed. It would save time to all and provide a good negative check list for those with an idea. At least it would be new to the FPS: it would be added or used.

2. very often the roots of the true solution is something which has been half thought and overlooked. Or something triggered in someone's mind by another idea.

jfc

PS. From what you quote, you seem to consider that SPAM=spoofing? Are there statistics and trends about that?

On 00:22 08/01/03, John C Klensin said:

--On Tuesday, 07 January, 2003 13:33 -0500 Doug
<Dougxx2(_at_)carolina(_dot_)rr(_dot_)com> wrote:

>> Doug has rediscovered the idea of closing open mail relays to
> prevent
>> unauthorised use by outsiders sending to outsiders. This was
>> a big thing in the early 90s when email became popular.
>
> This may seem to be a bit basic for some of the people who
> have worked on this problem for years. My intention was not to
> prove that I had the latest and greatest solution to the spam
> problem. It was to get the ball rolling in an open discussion
> forum and present my ideas on the topic in the hopes that
> someone who knew more than me on the topic would as well.

Ok, Doug.  Let me take a shot at simultaneously explaining the
problem here and  why your suggested solutions are getting such
resistance.  Perhaps a different approach may succeed where
Lloyd's didn't (not his fault, I'm sure).

Almost all of the measures you have suggested have serious
side-effects or critical prerequisites.  In the last analysis,
most of us would rather put up with a little spam than pay the
prices involved.  Others are sufficiently fed up with spam that
they are willing to consider some very radical changes to how we
use email.  But, regardless of how that comes out, the decisions
have been fairly explicit: people have thought of your
suggestions, and others, and their impact, and have made fairly
explicit decisions about preferences.  My comment about X.400 of
a few weeks ago was intended to address those issues, but
apparently made a reference too far in the past, or too subtle,
for some of the people who have been participating in the
discussion.

The people who have been through it are reluctant to start the
discussion again because the dead horse has been kicked into an
unrecognizable pulp. There has been a good deal of discussion,
in many archives, that it would be good for you to read.  If you
then come up with a _new_ idea that doesn't revisit the old
problems, many of us would be enthused about listening.  It is
only the old and discredited proposals that are met with
intolerance.

Let me take a closely-related pair of examples from your note.
As I understand it, you would like ISPs (really email providers)
to take responsibility for authenticating their customers.  And
you would like IP addresses shown in mail header traces to be
reliable.  Ok.  Those two things turn out to be much more about
trust relationships than they are about protocols: one can make
major changes to protocols without changing the trust
relationships at all, and can accomplish those things without
any changes in the protocols.  But, assuming that you aren't
willing to trust anyone who can operate a mail-sending protocol,
there are only a few ways that you can trust the source and
origins of email.

For example, we could, as a society, start licensing email
providers, require each licensed provider to accept mail only
from other licensed providers and from users they can
authenticate (with severe penalties for violating those rules).
That would make folks who would like to go back to business
models in which they charge for every item of mail very happy.
It would make many of the rest of us unhappy.  But it would
work... and, while some protocol enhancements might make it
easier to support, nothing is really required beyond SMTP as it
exists today.

Similarly, you could decide to work with an email mailbox
provider who would refuse to accept mail from any site with
which it didn't have an agreement about user authentication and
traffic and which, were relaying permitted, would insist that
any site from which it accepted a relayed message impose the
same requirements on its users.  With some prototype agreement
forms, this could be a way to build up a trust web similar to
the licensing one, using a web of bilateral agreements rather
than governmental action.

But either of those approaches would result in less legitimate
mail getting through.  For instance, I run my own mail servers
and, as far as I know, can authenticate anyone who originates
mail here.  But I have neither the resources nor the inclination
to participate in a large collection of bilateral contractual
agreements, nor to start applying for licenses.

The issues with those bad IP addresses are similar.  Most are
spoofed.  You can trust the information in Received headers only
as far back as the last mail host you trust to report
information accurately.  If there is a spammer deliberately
deciding to deceive you, anything earlier is likely to be trash,
not because the wrong information is in the Whois tables, but
because the data in the Received fields is being made up (either
at random or in the hope of pinning the spam on someone else).
And, again, formalizing  the trust relationships through
contracts or licenses would help a great deal, and might be the
only solution, but those options carry a high price in terms of
generally accessibility and usability of email.

regards,
    john

p.s.

> Asking questions, presenting possible solutions, and learning
> from mistakes is how we get solutions.

And learning what has been done and discussed in the past,
before asking your questions of thousands of people, is usually
considered, at least, polite.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.