Re: WG Review: Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments (lemonade)

2003-01-29 11:42:32
--On Tuesday, 28 January, 2003 18:12 -0500 Jacqueline Hargest <jhargest(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications
Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.

The following description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only.

Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service
environments (lemonade)
----

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

Lemonade brings together a body of work related to Internet
messaging, in particular work done by the VPIM, FAX, IMAPEXT<
and other IETF working groups. The goal is to provide a set of
enhancements and profiles of Internet email submission,
transport, and retrieval protocols to facilitate operation in
environments which use Internet-based technologies but which
have link characteristics, device characteristics, or service
environments that are significantly different from those
common on the Internet.  A primary goal of this work is to
ensure that those profiles and enhancements continue to
interoperate with the existing Internet email protocols in use
on the Internet, so that these environments and more
traditional Internet users have access to a seamless service.

Hi.

I'm finding this proposal deeply troubling and have been wondering whether to speak up. Kre's note convinced me that I should.

There is a rather fundamental architectural question underlying this proposal. The proposed charter assumes a particular answer to that question. I believe that the community has reviewed the general question on a number of occasions and that it has usually come to the opposite answer. It would be good, I think, to address that architectural question seriously in this case and to be sure that the solution-set proposed is the one we want. And I don't think that can be done by a WG, or proto-WG, that is anxious to charge ahead on a particular path: I think it has to be an IAB or IESG task, or one delegated by them and responsible to them.

Details: It has long been the conventional wisdom in the community that protocols that are low-complexity and that have few options will generally deploy more rapidly and widely, interwork better, and cause fewer problems than protocols that are highly complex in operation or that have very extensive or complex combinations of options and variations. We have believed that principle strongly enough to include it explicitly in a number of Standard-level protocol documents (e.g., see the introduction to STD10/RFC1869), so there is reason to assume community consensus about it. It has also been the conventional wisdom, backed by considerable bad experience, that adding functionality that is not obviously relevant to a protocol, simply because that protocol is there and available, is not a good idea.

It is widely believed that IMAP is already too complex, that it has too many options and variations, and that those factors have contributed to a shortage of implementations. While it is hard to quantify that belief in protocol terms, it has often been observed that there are many implementations of POP3 servers that are suitable for use on home or small business servers. While there are a number of IMAP implementations that are suitable for enterprise use, with multiple server complexes and dedicated and/or expert support staff, estimates of the number of conforming servers suitable for SOHO situations and with any conforming client range between zero and one. That is not a good situation, and there have been discussions within the IETF about starting "IMAP lite" efforts.

Now we have a WG proposal which seems to have a major theme of adding more capabilities and options to IMAP, including some capabilities (like streaming) that are not obviously connected with IMAP's core purpose or definition. Architecturally, there are many other options for accomodating those capabilities, including designing a multi-protocol framework that would permit specialized protocols for streaming to interwork well with IMAP but without adding significant complexity or options to IMAP itself. I am not sure whether one of those approaches would be better than proposals for additional IMAP capabilities. But I believe that we should address those possibilities --and the costs of add more bulk and complexity to IMAP-- in a serious way before launching a WG to figure out how to put these things into IMAP.

As part of that effort, I think we should make a definite decision about the "IMAP Lite" discussions. If we want, or need, to move in that direction, than "IMAP-even-bigger" is not rational; if "IMAP Lite" would be a good idea (or is necessary to get serious deployment), then a proposal like this one is nearly incomprehensible.

    john