Re: WG Review: Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments (lemonade)

2003-01-30 21:54:38
At 8:07 PM -0500 1/30/03, John C Klensin wrote:

This really isn't worth much discussion unless someone is really going to launch such an effort, but I don't see the distinction as clearly as you do.

One concern I had was that there would appear to be agreement that lemonade would "simplify IMAP", but in reality people expected different things, and would then object when the WG produced something different. "Simplifying" can mean different things.

We already have a situation in which some clients won't interoperate well with some servers because the clients think they need certain capabilities that those servers don't support. And we have other server authors that have refused to implement certain features because they (the authors) are convinced those features are brain-damaged.

True.

I'd like to see a WG give careful consideration to the question of the damage that would be done by pulling commands and replacing them with better/ cleaner designs as well as the type of revision I think you anticipate with the first case.

IMAP does a lot of things. It provides access to messages, information about those messages, various mailbox management things, access to information about mailboxes, creation of messages, and so on. There's been suggestions over the years that this is really too much for one protocol, that, for example, mailbox management should be a different protocol. There was some interest a while back in using ACAP to provide information about mailboxes and messages, leaving IMAP to just offer access to the messages.

On the other hand, one of the complaints by people implementing Internet mail clients on handsets and palm devices is that there are too many protocols, each with its own syntax. SMTP, IMAP, MIME and so on all require different parsers. Adding still more protocols would make this aspect worse.

But, in the last analysis, IMAP4bis is still at Proposed. Like you, I'd prefer something easier to implement and deploy that is fully compatible with IMAP4bis. But, if that isn't possible, then I think it would be rational to consider other alternatives, with the understanding that some implementations would try to be conforming to both the older and newer versions and that it would be wise to design things so as to make that possible.

I think people have tended to be scared of this approach.

--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------