Re: WG Review: Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments (lemonade)

2003-01-29 12:30:59
On 1/29/03 at 1:40 PM -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

Now we have a WG proposal which seems to have a major theme of adding more capabilities and options to IMAP

Before everyone ends up latching onto this: You quite conveniently ignore something very important in the first statement of purpose in the charter: "The goal is to provide a set of enhancements AND PROFILES" (my emphasis). One of the major themes, at least in my mind, is to profile down IMAP for the purposes of these more limited environments. Yes, it is certainly true that there are a couple of extensions to IMAP being proposed, and I don't doubt that they should be met with scrutiny. (More on this in my earlier response to kre and below.) But I think the more important thing for this group to do is to find a way to avoid much of the huge complexity IMAP. One of the sources of this complexity is that there are so many optional extensions to IMAP that are implemented to such varying degrees by servers (and with such huge impacts on functionality) that no client has any reasonable chance of interoperating without being terribly complex. One of the primary outcomes of this working group should be a profile of IMAP that is devoid of options, that removes features who's primary purpose is to support particular implementations choices at the expense of interoperability, and gives folks in low-capability environments a chance to produce a decent implementation.

If this is what you mean by "IMAP Lite", I would contend that this is the architectural choice that this particular proposed WG has made.

including some capabilities (like streaming) that are not obviously connected with IMAP's core purpose or definition. Architecturally, there are many other options for accomodating those capabilities, including designing a multi-protocol framework that would permit specialized protocols for streaming to interwork well with IMAP but without adding significant complexity or options to IMAP itself.

If I understand you correctly, at least one of the proposals on the table (CHANNEL) does exactly this kind of thing: Instead of providing some sort of specialized streaming in IMAP, it instead introduces a referral mechanism, where a client can ask the server for a referral to a different protocol to stream the data. Whether this is a good idea or not can be debated, but this particular item is not an example of bloating IMAP with wild new features.

I think there should be a great deal of pressure on this group to *not* bloat IMAP, and in fact rather to shrink it. However, there is nothing in the proposed charter (or in the mind of this particular member of that proposed WG) that should give you the impression that the intention is otherwise.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102