Re: IAB policy on anti-spam mechanisms?

2003-03-11 23:16:21
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:
yes.  because mail.isp.com is the name of a server which might support
thousands of MXed domains.
That's what I figured.

If so, this really isn't satisfactory, because it allows
anyone who can tamper with the DNS to intercept mail
destined for any server.

I see your point.  But I suspect it illustrates a significant
limitation of the SSL/TLS protocol - in that SSL/TLS seems to assume
that an IP address and port number are used by only one named service.
It's been awhile since I looked at the TLS protocol but I don't recall
any way for the client to say "prove to me that you are authorized to
provide the SMTP service associated with DNS name foo.com".   or did I
just forget that feature?
This could be conceivably accomplished in two ways:

(1) By the application protocol (in this case SMTP) indicating
    what server the client wanted to talk to. This isn't
    possible in STARTTLS, but it could easily have been specifid
    that way. I would have designed things differently.

(2) You could use the TLS domain name extension described in
    draft-ietf-tls-extensions-06.txt, recently approved at
    Proposed by the IESG.

Unfortunately, neither of these fixes solves the real problem,
which is that it's impractical for a relaying MTA to have a
a certificate for every host it might potentially receive
mail for, but that's what's required here.

I suppose you could call this as a limitation in TLS, but it's
really a basic limitation of pretty much any channel security
scheme. If you want to do better, you really need an object
security scheme like S/MIME.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr(_at_)rtfm(_dot_)com]
                http://www.rtfm.com/