Re: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday

2003-03-15 11:16:17
Hi, Harald,

It's good to have this presentation in advance of the meeting.

A couple of questions follow:

- Without asking for details - was Yokohama unusually expensive
 for reasons that are likely to recur? I'm curious whether this
was just because the meeting was in Japan, for instance, or
whether we usually expect higher costs outside of North
America...

- I'm not the brightest candle in the menorah, but - I would
have guessed that we would see the number of attendees
decreasing, due to (1) general industry business conditions, (2)

the telecom nuclear winter, strongly affecting SubIP attendance,

and (3) our reluctance to take on new APPS work, so it goes
elsewhere. Your presentation projected a slight increase - does
a decrease make things better, or worse?

- Does going to two, or four, meetings per year help or hurt?

- Of course we can raise meeting fees, but we're decrying the
influx of professional standards weenies now. Is the expectation

that people really just come to IETF when they want to
standardize something, and then go away?

And I'm sure these won't be the last questions that people
ask...

Spencer