Re: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday

2003-03-15 15:05:41
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

We usually expect higher costs outside North America - London was even more expensive than Yokohama. With the lack of sponsoring of terminal rooms, the difference is much less, but still significant. The reason for the varying prediction of per-attendee cost for 2004-2005 is that we are considering 2 non-US meetings in 2004 - but if they are definitely more expensive than US meetings even when we get sponsors outside the US and no sponsors inside the US, we may have to reevaluate.

Having access to wireless networks and the Internet throughout the meetings are certainly a desireable feature. However, they are hardly a deciding factor on whether or not I attend an IETF meeting. In many ways, if there was no network we might actually get more done. What percentage of the costs of a meeting are due to the terminal room and related expenses?

- Does going to two, or four, meetings per year help or hurt?

My guess is that going to two would hurt income, unless we raise fees by 50% - the same people would come, I think. Going to four would be damaging to my sanity, at least - don't know about others'.... we whould expect slightly lower per-meeting attendance, but many would indeed feel obligated to go to all four, so would pay more, I think. Whether they would get more things done is an open question.

The real question is "to what extent is it reasonable for the costs of running the IETF be funded by relying on attendance fees?" It has always struck me as odd that the people who volunteer to do the work of the IETF pay for the privilege. The IETF does not really function as a "standards body" in the traditional sense as it is not funded either by government grants nor by a consortium of industry. The IETF does not develop mandatory standards which must be adhered to in order to have certified products. Instead everything we do is voluntary. Not only is the work voluntary but so is the output.

In many ways the IETF is the ultimate open source project. As with many open source projects, the survival of the project is dependent upon those that do the work having alternative sources of income to support the efforts. I have never felt that was an appropriate funding model for any work that I have done. [If only I could be ensured of a comfortable lifestyle for myself and my family I would glady spend all of my efforts volunteering and give away everything I do for free.] On the other hand, the work of the IETF

It would seem that we would want those that benefit from the results of the IETF to pay. The problem is that the benefits the IETF provides to the Internet community are so hard to quantify and put a monetary price on. Nor is it easy to determine who the beneficiaries are? Is it the end-user behind a cable modem? Or the ISP? Or the operating systems, hardware, and application vendors? Should fees be taxes on the use of RFCs? Or perhaps a tax on IP addresses? Or domain names? Who would care the most if the IETF were to disappear? Would it make sense to form sub-areas of the IETF that are funded as Industry Consortiums with membership fees and contributions so that the rest of the working groups could be open?

It seems to me that those groups that come to the IETF seeking the expertise of the IETF participants, the IESG review, and the IETF RFC publication status would be more than willing to pay for the privilege of bringing their nearly completed work into the body. (Assuming of course that the IETF thought the work was worthwhile.)

I realize that this e-mail is mostly just rambling thoughts but there are no obvious answers jumping out to solve the funding problems of the IETF.

- Jeffrey Altman