Re: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday

2003-03-15 16:03:07

--On Saturday, 15 March, 2003 16:59 -0500 Jeffrey Altman <jaltman(_at_)columbia(_dot_)edu> wrote:

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

We usually expect higher costs outside North America - London
was even  more expensive than Yokohama.
With the lack of sponsoring of terminal rooms, the difference
is much  less, but still significant. The reason for the
varying prediction of  per-attendee cost for 2004-2005 is
that we are considering 2 non-US  meetings in 2004 - but if
they are definitely more expensive than US  meetings even
when we get sponsors outside the US and no sponsors  inside
the US, we may have to reevaluate.

Having access to wireless networks and the Internet throughout
the meetings are certainly a desirable feature.  However,
they are hardly a deciding factor on whether or not I attend
an IETF meeting.  In many ways, if there was no network we
might actually get more done.  What percentage of the costs of
a meeting are due to the terminal room and related expenses?

To the extent to which this question is worth looking at, I suggest that it would be useful to further dissect it. For example, terminal or computer rentals are, in my experience, quite expensive. If we get rid of them, shifting the burden of bringing (or renting) computers to those who want to use them, we not only reduce that expense, but probably reduce the amount of floor space we need for terminal rooms (relevant when we need to pay for that space). I don't know what the combination costs, or how many people who are really active participants are dependent on the terminals/computers, as distinct from Ethernet or Wireless drops, but it seems to me to be a question worth asking.

The real question is "to what extent is it reasonable for the
costs of running the IETF be funded by relying on attendance
fees?"  It has always struck me as odd that the people who
volunteer to do the work of the IETF pay for the privilege.
The IETF does not really function as a "standards body" in the
traditional sense as it is not funded either by government
grants nor by a consortium of industry.  The IETF does not
develop mandatory standards which must be adhered to in order
to have certified products.  Instead everything we do is
voluntary.  Not only is the work voluntary but so is the
output.

There may be some misconceptions or misunderstanding here, although the attendance fees for a body that claims one can fully participate without ever attending a meeting are, indeed, a bit strange. But there are few mandatory standards in the information technology area. Everything ISO and ANSI do is voluntary (both the work and adoption of the output). And the (rather high) fees are paid for, by and large, by the organizations whose members/ employees are doing the work. Yes, some few of those standards are then legislated into required practices, but that could happen with ours as well. And I most other national standards bodies, at least those of which I'm aware, work more or the same way although the level of government involvement and subsidy is higher in many cases. The "you expect us to contribute our time and talent and then pay you for the privilege and sign over all copyright rights (including republication within our own organizations to you so you can charge us for the documents we wrote" policies are widely resented, but still generally practiced.

regards,
  john