Re: Thinking differently about names and addresses

2003-04-01 09:26:51
Harald,

In any event, please note that the suggestion that applications are
required to use names, rather than IP addresses, is new.
As in, it has not been part of the Internet architecture for the past 25
years.

HTA> RFC 1958, June 1996:

HTA> 4. Name and address issues

HTA> yes, "required" is new, and IMHO unspportable.

whimsical:  ok, so only *20* years...

serious: the "required" was intended as the only significant point.
(this is worth emphasizing, since it is key to the question of whether
apps are "broken" or whether we have a new problem to solve.)

Obviously, names have been a part of the Internet architecture dating
back before there was an Internet architecture. (My decrepit memory
thinks Hosts.txt was present in 1972. If not, it was certainly very
quickly thereafter.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>