Re: Thinking differently about names and addresses

2003-04-02 15:56:26
Keith Moore wrote:

   > From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>

   > HIP only solves part of the problem ... it doesn't provide any
   > way of mapping between that identity and an address where you
   > can reach the host.

without a mechanism to map the endpoint
identifier to an IP address, such identifiers are useless in referrals
between application components.
Not completely useless; they would prevent the problem of reaching the *wrong* endpoint. This isn't much help if you have only one address for the endpoint you want; but, if you have a global and a local address for it, and you get the wrong HIP from the host that answers when you use the local address, then you know not to use that one.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                     |