addresses in referrals (Re: Thinking differently about names and addresses)

2003-04-01 23:44:11

--On tirsdag, april 01, 2003 18:49:13 -0500 Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote:

- ii) pass the other party both the identifier and a current, working
address for that endpoint.

thus requiring me to continue to use IP addresses in referrals.

actually this is a fairly common tactic; the X.500 directory used to have that (binding a PSAP with the distinguished name of a remote MTA), and the DNS does it (delivering an A record, often derived from "glue", as additional data when sending back an NS record as a referral).

when done with care, the recipient of such a referral can handle all 3 cases:

- this is an identity I know, and have communication with. Forget the address; I don't need it.

- this is an identity I know, where my current communication address doesn't work. Contact at the new address, and verify that you've reached the right endpoint.

- this is an identity I don't know. Contact at the given address, and verify.

I liked HIP the first time I saw it (a long time ago). I'm still waiting to see an application that uses it; if it's good enough to be successful at all, it should be able to be successful in a small market niche; if it's successful in a market niche, it could possibly take over the Internet.

but that first application can be a high hurdle.....

                     Harald