Re: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))

2003-04-03 08:51:16
Keith Moore wrote:

Then there's the problem that when a 800-pound gorilla ships code, that
code largely defines expectations for what will and will not work in practice
- often moreso than the standards themselves.
Strange as I feel defending Microsoft, I actually think it's commendable that they implemented IPv6 at all; it's not as if there's a lot of market demand for it yet. From that viewpoint, it's not surprising that they gave IPv6 address literals a low priority.

(Personally, I would've implemented address literals *first*, so that, if I ran into a bug, I could isolate whether it was in DNS lookup or not. Would've saved time in the long run, since debugging takes longer than coding.)

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                     |