Re: My thoughts on local-use addresses

2003-04-29 06:22:17
On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 01:02:11PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
we need to get rid of site-locals.  merely renaming them as private use
addresses wouldn't solve any of their problems.  there's no advantage to
moving to IPv6 if it repeats the RFC 1918 mistake.

What is wrong with having addresses available for private use on
networks that do not intend on being connected to the Internet?  I
suppose that if they are not going to be connected to the Internet, then
really they could just use whatever space they feel like, since it
should not affect any one else unless they do go to connect with other
sites.

Keith, do you have a draft or something you have been working on?  For
the most part I think that I do agree with your arguments against
site-local addresses.  What are your thoughts about link-local
addresses?  Do you want to get rid of all the local-use address space,
which I suppose really means abandoning the idea of scoped addresses all
together?