Re: My thoughts on local-use addresses

2003-04-29 10:08:34
Daniel Senie wrote:

Many NANOG folks are busy screaming that everyone who's got pre-RIR address space that's not publicly routed should be giving it up and using RFC 1918.

Without getting into whether that's a good idea or not:

This sounds like a policy that would fail the "Don't make a rule you can't enforce" test. People who really wanted to retain their address space would simply start advertising routes to it, but have the routes point to dummy hosts. (It'd be a simple matter to take an old box you were going to throw out and have it run software to respond to pings on 2^16 addresses.)

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com   |