Re: Last Call: IP over MIME to Proposed Standard

2003-05-24 07:06:37
Anything that more than two "real user" entities are going to want to use,
and *might want to inter-operate*, is probably standards-track material.

I disagree, and that's not the metric that has traditionally been applied.
A protocol that doesn't work over the Internet in general, but which only
works in limited environments and for limited groups of users, has not
generally considered suitable for IETF standardization, and this is entirely
appropriate.  IETF's endorsement of a protocol is taken to mean that the
protocol has broad applicability.  IETF doesn't have the resources to
standardize every protocol that some small group of people might want to use.
Nor would it really serve IETF's purposes for it to do so.  Small groups
of people can agree among themselves how to solve a problem, and they don't
need to require that their solutions be universally applicable; it's only
when you have large numbers of users that you need to impose the criteria
that IETF expects for standards.

About the only reason not to do it would be if it was decided that the
design chosen was technologically flawed. However, I think NAT should have
taught the IETF (as bridges taught me) that sometimes what seems
technologically flawed is in fact just what the market needs and wants -
usually for some reason one hasn't sufficiently appreciated.

I agree that the existence of NAT should have helped us recognize legitimate
needs and wants, but that doesn't argue for standardizing NAT either.