Re: Last Call: IP over MIME to Proposed Standard

2003-05-23 16:16:56
(I agree with the rest of what Keith said - however, there's one
area that's still up for grabs..)

tunneling IP packets.  Even considering that a content-type for
transmitting IP over MIME might be useful for "monitoring, analysis,
debugging, or illustrative purposes", that doesn't mean that we
should

Do you think there *is* a use for monitoring/analysis/etc?  And if so,
does the draft address *that* need, or could it be made to do so?

I expect that it does address that need.  though for
monitoring/analysis/etc you might like some other information, like the
date/time/location at which the packet was observed, and perhaps these
could go in content-type parameters.

but from looking at the parameters that are defined, it really doesn't
seem like the intended purpose of this type is monitoring/analysis/etc.