Re: Last Call: IP over MIME to Proposed Standard

2003-05-26 21:22:14
Hi,

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Peter Deutsch wrote:

Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 16:23:15 -0700
From: Peter Deutsch <pdeutsch(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net>
Subject: Re: Last Call: IP over MIME to Proposed Standard

g'day,

Dave Crocker wrote:
Also:  We have a jillion MIME types.  Why make a big deal out of this
one?  What is the damage that is of concern?

Maybe you didn't pick up on it, but Keith did write:

# 2. the Introduction recommends use of NAT, which is nonstandard and
# known to often be a harmful practice.

Seems obvious to me - Keith smells a NAT rat trying to get its nose
under the IETF tent flap, and is on the warpath again....  ;-)

I have only myself to blame for not being more specific in the draft.
A likely reason you might want to use NAT technology is because things
are already screwed up, with duplicate addresses at both ends of a
tunnel, due to the pre-existing use of NATs.

                              - peterd

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
dee3(_at_)torque(_dot_)pothole(_dot_)com
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
Donald(_dot_)Eastlake(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com