Re: spam

2003-05-26 20:49:47
warning, i'm answering an obvious troll from an obvious spammer.  hit D now.

anthony(_at_)atkielski(_dot_)com ("Anthony Atkielski") writes:

Once you are charging for e-mail, it's only a matter of time before you
are charging for everything.  Instead of having free access to the entire
net for $9 a month, you'll have paying access for $190 in itemized
billing each month, depending on exactly what you do and how much you do
it.  And it will all be recorded somewhere, too, in case anyone wants to
look at it to see if you're a suspcious character.

you're describing a fairly desireable state of affairs.  many folks would
happily pay more for a commercial-free non-subsidized spam-free e-mail feed.

oops!  my t1 costs me $552 per month in pac bell service fees.  so maybe i'm
already expecting a "premium channel" since nobody is subsidizing my costs.

I'll just delete the spam when I receive it.  It's an annoyance, not a
crisis.

how nice for you.  here's the report of spam that's reached me and had to
be deleted in the last 15 days:

        lartomatic=# SELECT DATE(entered),COUNT(*) FROM spam
                     WHERE entered>=(NOW()-'15 days'::INTERVAL)
                     GROUP BY DATE(entered) ORDER BY DATE(entered);
            date    | count
        ------------+-------
         2003-05-12 |  1868
         2003-05-13 |  2345
         2003-05-14 |  1122
         2003-05-15 |   902
         2003-05-16 |   822
         2003-05-17 |   912
         2003-05-18 |   818
         2003-05-19 |  1022
         2003-05-20 |   927
         2003-05-21 |   757
         2003-05-22 |   811
         2003-05-23 |   760
         2003-05-24 |  1486
         2003-05-25 |  1295
         2003-05-26 |   836
         2003-05-27 |   123
        (16 rows)

note that the 27th isn't done yet, it'll be over 1000 by 0000GMT tomorrow.
but wait, there's more.  above is the number of times i "just hit delete".
here's the count of mail i rejected due to various blackhole lists i use:

        may 20  8435
        may 21  7956
        may 22  7534
        mat 23  8111
        may 24  14868
        may 25  9171
        may 26  10262
        may 27  1236

note that this is just my home server, at work it's much much worse.

you guys can "just hit delete" all you want, but for me, nothing beats
the right to be left alone.
--
Paul Vixie