Re: spam

2003-05-26 14:14:26
J. Noel Chiappa wrote:

The *only* thing that's going to stop spam is charging for email. Everything
else is a waste of time, because you're going to run into impossible
arguments trying to define what's spam, and what's legitimate bulk email
(q.v. the recent message about IETF-Announce email).

That's an interesting argument. I suspect I've missed a lot of the prior discussion, since I'm not sure how charging for email would work (Who charges? Who pays? Could it ever work in a free market? Aren't there legal implications?).

It was your "only" that caught my attention, though. Being able to pick and choose my email addresses, I have had a reasonable amount of success using different email addresses for different stores and subscriptions: if an address begins to collect an unreasonable amount of spam, I stop using it. One "technical" solution that would discourage spam would be to add a key (a text string, for example) to the email header. The user gives out their email address with different keys to different groups of people; if a key attracts spam, all they have to do is stop accepting mail with that key. It would also make organising mail very easy. On the negative side, the extra complexity might prove challenging for some...

Andrew.
--
Andrew Shore.