Re: spam

2003-05-26 13:47:38

on 5/26/2003 2:26 PM Markku Savela wrote:

The best techical solution that has been proposed seems to be the
"tarpit" solution: detect spam on the fly and slow down the reception
to trickle as "spamminess" grows. The great feature of this is, that
it actually would keep spam "off my network" by stopping the flow.

How so? As I have heard it used in the common sense, it allows delivery to
some and slows the delivery to others, but doesn't prevent any of it. Even
in those cases of cooperative tarpits that cooperate to consume socket
resources on the spamming host, some recipients still have to take the
pain before the cooperative nets can respond.