Re: spam

2003-05-26 16:52:56
Ok, I didn't see this, which is current as of 3/21/03, two months ago.

I have asserted that it is possible to regulate commercial speech. There
are conditions that have to be met.

However, the problem with spam is that the cost is so insignificant as to
be immeasurable, so there is no cost shifting, and unlike fax, there is no
definite harm since there is no paper to consume or to run out of.  A spam
ban would have a much tougher time meeting the constitutionality
requirements.

And I note that the junk fax doesn't ban all unsolicited faxes.  Notably,
it doesn't ban political faxes.

And all this is hypothetical, since there is no chance that bonafide
commercial solicited spam will be banned anytime soon.

                --Dean