Re: spam

2003-05-26 18:10:27

on 5/26/2003 6:08 PM Dean Anderson wrote:

However, the problem with spam is that the cost is so insignificant as
to be immeasurable, so there is no cost shifting,

The facts demonstrated are that (1) there is real cost for bandwidth, (2)
there is a real cost for equipment, and (3) there is a real cost for
staffing, all due to spam. Whether you consider these facts to be
sufficient either cumulatively or in detail is a matter of opinion. The
existing laws support my opinion, not yours.

and unlike fax, there is no definite harm since there is no paper to
consume or to run out of.

There are plenty of examples of crashed and clogged servers due to
resource consumption. But that's not important, either. The TCPA addresses
other concerns including lack of availability due to excessive use, and
isn't limited to resource consumption issues.

And I note that the junk fax doesn't ban all unsolicited faxes.
Notably, it doesn't ban political faxes.

My proposal left room for exceptions as well.

And all this is hypothetical, since there is no chance that bonafide
commercial solicited spam will be banned anytime soon.

I haven't claimed that we need to ban solicited mail.

I think you've made your opinion pretty clear at this point. When you find
some new data that supports your opinion, let us know.