Re: spam (fwd) (edit error on previous)

2003-05-26 18:34:07

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Dean writes:

Many countries have extradition treaties.

For certain crimes.  Spamming is not likely to qualify.

Perhaps you should look more closely.

Why?  It's spam.

I can see you have a goal of limiting Type 1 spam, using the harms of Type
2 and Type 3 spam. This effort is doomed to fail.

That they are free.

But they _are_ free.

Sorry. You are wrong.  Only I get to set prices on my services. You don't
get to tell others false prices.

Telephone systems can also have open relay services
configured, but it is well established that unuathorized
use is toll fraud.

I'm not aware of any similar jurisprudence having been established for the
Internet.

Fraud is common law, which applies to the internet.  After $5000, it
becomes a federal felony. State laws have other requirements.

                --Dean