Re: spam (fwd) (edit error on previous)

2003-05-27 00:38:37
Peter writes:

Basically, it's a crime in Canada to use somebody
else's compute cycles without permission ...

So your e-mail to this list committed a felony, since it reached my machine
without my explicit authorization and used compute cycles thereon ... right?
If not, explain why not.

BTW, those who think SPAM is "too cheap to meter"
need to look at the total costs involved in providing
services ...

And those who say that spam is "too costly to tolerate" need to look at the
total cost of downloading advertisements, animations, active content, and
pop-ups when visiting Web sites--none of which are normally authorized by
the person visiting the sites.  Why isn't that illegal?

My kids' school pays a part time sysadmin who
in turn makes use of a couple of technically literate
parents to help him with various chores as he's
still learning his craft.

Gee, that's reassuring!