Re: spam

2003-05-26 23:24:14
michel(_at_)arneill-py(_dot_)sacramento(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us ("Michel Py") writes:

Paul, I'm curious: why are you wasting your time with this? Any
withdrawals from not fighting it on a daily basis?

because several years ago when iesg commissioned a wg to study the spam
issue and decide whether ietf had a role, the carefully worded answer was
"no".  i thought this answer was short-sighted or wrong-headed or both.

c'mon guys & dolls, smtp and the model behind/beneath it are failing to
address the need for universal batch communication.  we fixed the encoding
problems (trying to fit things into a 990-by-7 box was hard without mime)
and it only took four and a half years of bitchfesting and the results have
been nothing less than spectacular (in that i don't get uuencoded tarballs
from nextstep users any more.)

on april 28 of this year, aol/microsoft/yahoo publically teamed up to fight
spam (since statistically speaking, it is universally launched by their
collective customers and aimed at their collective customers.)  see
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0428aolmsya.html for the announcement.
does anyone here think this will solve the problem for anybody, even the
customers of those three customers?

i'm wasting my time because i want this problem looked at more broadly.
--
Paul Vixie