IMAP v. POP

2003-06-04 10:28:49

It was said about IMAP versus POP mail:
Perhaps those folks should use an implementation that can manipulate mail
offline and then sync with the server later.

Dan says:
The group I know have an information technology group which raid and
confiscate anything they don't install. They terrorize everyone in this huge
fortune 100 company, and if they don't run the approved software they delete
everything. They only allow IMAP (not POP), and its all connection oriented.
The idea is this is more secure. But ultimately, obviously, people can
screen capture and/or print anything, somehow. Then it can be reabsorbed in
digital form; (scan, etc).

I guess I realize, nearly by definition, you could make an offline/online
IMAP implementation.

I think POP is awefully functional though. If it just had passwords not in
the clear, and a better way to defer big attachments, I think it would be
nearly perfect protocol/service.

For home and casual use though POP is cool. You can only expect so much from
it. And with the extensions it can do a lot.

There must be a pure 'push' email protocol either in the works or done, is't
there?

Regs
Dan