RE: Certificate / CPS issues

2003-06-10 15:20:00

--On Tuesday, 10 June, 2003 09:12 -0700 Christian Huitema <huitema(_at_)windows(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:

The procedures used to determine the list of certification
authorities in Windows XP, Internet Explorer and other
Microsoft products are documented at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/tec
hnet/security/news/rootcert.asp

Christian,

Others may respond differently, but I found one part of this very interesting. The text says, in part:

        When a user visits a secure Web site (that is, by using
        HTTPS), reads a secure e-mail (that is, S/MIME), or
        downloads an ActiveX control that uses a new root
        certificate, the Windows XP certificate chain
        verification software checks the appropriate Windows
        Update location and downloads the necessary root
        certificate. To the user, the experience is seamless.
        The user does not see any security dialog boxes or
        warnings. The download happens automatically, behind the
        scenes.

Suppose a user has sufficient expertise and desire to make individual evaluations of which CA certs to accept and from what CAs. With the earlier model, she could look through the list, adding and deleting root certs according to her preferences and using Microsoft's acceptance of a given cert as a guide (to whatever extent she saw that as appropriate). Now, if I read this correctly, there is no more choice: any cert accepted by Microsoft is automatically trusted by the desktop software and the user can't say, e.g., "I know that XYZ Corp, who met Microsoft's criteria, was just bought out by ABC Corp; I believe that ABC are scum and don't want to trust any cert issued by any subsidiary of theirs, even if it was issued pre-merger."

Conversely, if I'm part of an enterprise that issues its own certs for internal purposes, it doesn't look as if I can make those certs usable in the XP environment, since such internal certs don't satisfy the "broad business value to Microsoft platform customers" criterion and hence will not be accepted by Microsoft for use in the specified environment.

I hope this is only part of the story, and that user options to accept some certs (even if they are not accepted by Microsoft) and reject others (even if they are accepted by Microsoft) still exist in some usable form.

regards,
    john