Re: Certificate / CPS issues

2003-06-10 16:18:47
John writes:

Now, if I read this correctly, there is no
more choice ...

You read incorrectly.  Default behavior is not mandatory behavior.

Conversely, if I'm part of an enterprise that
issues its own certs for internal purposes, it
doesn't look as if I can make those certs usable
in the XP environment, since such internal
certs don't satisfy the "broad business value to Microsoft
platform customers" criterion and hence will not be accepted by
Microsoft for use in the specified environment.

You read incorrectly, again.  You can add any certificates you want to your
machines.  You just can't get Microsoft to make them publicly available for
distribution by MS without convincing them that doing so is worthwhile for
Microsoft, which makes perfect sense.

I hope this is only part of the story, and that
user options to accept some certs (even if they are
not accepted by Microsoft) and reject others (even
if they are accepted by Microsoft) still
exist in some usable form.

They do.  Look under Internet Options in Internet Explorer.